T. A. Hungerford Memorial Library and Museum
The T.A. Hungerford Memorial
Library and Museum is one of Harwinton’s best
Shortly before his death in 1903,
A Harwinton boy who had gone out into the world and
did very well, Theodore Hungerford, was considering
the building of a suitable mausoleum. A nephew, Neuman
Hungerford, who had spent many summers in Harwinton
and loved the town, encouraged his uncle to consider
donating a library building and trust fund for its maintenance
as his memorial. The elder Hungerford liked the idea,
wrote the provision into his will, including the fact
that a tomb would be included in the foundation of the
building, and made Newman the trustee of the project.
Today, although no longer serving
the town as a public library, the Museum offers a glimpse
into Harwinton’s past through the many items on
display. Throughout the summer a featured display is
Civil War artifacts and a display of Quilts.
Neuman Hungerford collected artifacts
of the town’s history, a practice that has been
carried on and has formed the basis of the Library-Museum’s
Another featured display is the
civil war collection where many item s are displayed
There is also displays on early
crafts, paintings, furniture, old dishes and woodenware,
Indian Baskets, mortors and arrowheads found in Harwinton,
Photo albums, ancient diaries and a lot more.
On May 1st, 2011, the Hungerford
Museum, was listed on the Connecticut Register of Historic
Places by the Connecticut Historic Preservation Council.
The Museum is open on the following
Saturdays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and admission
2011 Summer Special Exhibits
will be announced soon
For special appointment please
call Dane or Carol at 485-0517
Come on in and see and learn
what the past was like in our home town.